Tuesday 20 December 2016

Christmas Time in National Gallery of Canada (Ottawa)

I took this photo a long time ago with my old Canon DSLR. It was the day before Christmas and I took my mother to the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, one of my favorite places to photograph the modern architecture.


The converging lines of the gallery's hallways with the combination of natural light coming from the glass roof and artificial illumination, always provide interesting architectural photography opportunities.






Shooting


It was getting dark and I was shooting handheld. Plus, my old Sigma 17-70 did not have image stabilization. I had to take extra precautions to hold the camera as steady as possible because the shutter speed was approaching unsafe value below 1/50sec

Camera: Canon 60D
Lens: Sigma 17-70
Focal Length: 17mm
Shooting Mode: Aperture Priority (A)
ISO: 100
Aperture: F2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/30s
Bracketing: single shot
Tripod: handheld




Processing


When I first introduced the PLUS version for my Lightroom Cityscape Collection I used San Francisco urban shot with the wide open sky. The idea was to test a new version of the preset collection with the image that had characteristics of both the cityscape and the landscape.

In my next article, I demonstrated how to use Cityscape PLUS version when editing pure landscape capture.

And I felt that the only missing example was the pure architectural shot. I went into my Lightroom library and found the old shot I took inside of National Gallery of Canada.

When I applied one of my favorite presets (Sunbalst) which uses pretty aggressive editing settings, I could see that the effect was a bit too strong. But, since I used the PLUS version of Cityscape collection I was able to dial down the effect by using Sunblast 80% version.

Next, I used TOOLKIT to boost contrast and clarity.

The Lightroom Editing Formula: Sunblast 80% (9, 14, 17, 34)

Later I created 3 more editing versions using selective presets from Cityscape collection. with the following Editing Formulas:
  • Montreal 90% (14, 21, 32, 34)

  • Layered Cake 70% (9, 14, 17, 32)

  • Hawaii Sunset (18, 31)




Unprocessed






Montreal 90% (14, 21, 32, 34)








Layered Cake 70% (9, 14, 17, 32)






Hawaii Sunset (18, 31)









Photoshop: color correction, contrast.

Photoshop Plugins:




  • Topaz DeNoise was used to reduce digital noise.






Do not forget that my FREE Lightroom Preset Collection is always free for all subscribers to my newsletter.




http://www.epaperindia.in/2016/12/christmas-time-national-gallery-canada-ottawa/
#_DECONSTRUCTING_PHOTO, #CANADA, #OTTAWA

No comments:

Post a Comment